By David Coward
- Presents a definitive historical past of the literature of France from its origins to the current day.
- Incorporates assurance of Francophone writing in Europe, Canada, the West Indies and North and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Links the advance of literature to the mentalities and social stipulations which produced it.
- Takes us past “literature” to review image fiction, cinema and the bestseller.
- Maps the increase of the highbrow, and in so doing charts a development from literary doctrine to severe theory.
Read Online or Download A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Oscar Wilde and glossy tradition: The Making of a Legend explores the meteoric upward push, unexpected fall, and mythical resurgence of an immensely influential writer’s popularity from his tense 1881 American lecture travel to contemporary Hollywood diversifications of his dramas. consistently renowned—if no longer notorious—for his stylish character, Wilde courted superstar at an early age.
Polymorphous Domesticities maps out the play of gender, sexuality, and replacement types of domesticity within the works of 4 smooth eu and American writers—Edith Wharton, Djuna Barnes, Colette, and J. R. Ackerley. What those 4 writers have in universal is a defiance of patriarchal paradigms of their lives in addition to of their works.
Seminar paper from the yr 2006 within the topic English Language and Literature experiences - Literature, grade: 1,2, collage of Duisburg-Essen (Department of Anglophone Studies), path: nineteenth century novels, language: English, summary: 1. Introduction1. 1 Preface„Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre has frequently been defined as a gothic novel, however the form of delusion that is extra evidently liable for its plot constitution and personality improvement is the fairy story.
Scholarly feedback of John Milton's writings has in fresh many years been amazing by way of a methodological prudence that separates it from different kinds of literary scholarship. One critic, in spite of the fact that, stands except his colleagues and has constantly provided a corrective to this prudence: Balachandra Rajan.
- Bret Easton Ellis: American Psycho, Glamorama, Lunar Park (Bloomsbury Studies in Contemporary North American Fiction)
- Hemingway and French Writers
- Writing Back (Rethinking Theory)
- James Joyce's "Finnegans Wake" and the Aesthetics of the Grotesque
Extra resources for A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema
A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema by David Coward