By Sergio Sismondo
- Distinctive in its cognizance to either the underlying philosophical and sociological features of technological know-how and technology
- Explores middle issues resembling realism and social building, discourse and rhetoric, objectivity, and the general public figuring out of science
- Includes various empirical stories and illustrative examples to explain the subjects discussed
- Now comprises new fabric on political economies of clinical and technological wisdom, and democratizing technical decisions
- Other positive aspects of the hot version comprise better clarity, up to date references, bankruptcy reorganization, and extra fabric on medication and technology
Read or Download An Introduction to Science and Technology Studies PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
There are few scientists of the 20 th century whose life's paintings has created extra pleasure and controversy than that of physicist David Bohm (1917-1992). For the 1st time in one quantity, the fundamental David Bohm bargains a complete assessment of Bohm's unique works from a non-technical point of view.
J. D. Bernal's enormous paintings, technological know-how in heritage, was once the 1st complete try and examine the reciprocal relatives of technology and society all through heritage, from the perfection of the flint hand-axe to the hydrogen bomb. during this amazing learn he illustrates the impetus given to (and the restrictions put upon) discovery and invention by means of pastoral, agricultural, feudal, capitalist, and socialist structures, and conversely the ways that technological know-how has altered financial, social, and political opinions and practices.
The Oxford guide of the heritage of Physics brings jointly state-of-the-art writing through greater than twenty best specialists at the heritage of physics from the 17th century to the current day. by way of offering a large variety of reviews in one quantity, it offers authoritative introductions to scholarly contributions that experience tended to be dispersed in journals and books no longer simply obtainable to the overall reader.
We adore to imagine that technological know-how regularly illuminates. however the stressful endurance of the idea that of organic determinism—the fake concept that human habit is genetically mounted or inherently programmed and for this reason isn't liable to speedy change—shows that medical learn and ideas may be distorted to boost an inhumane and occasionally lethal political schedule.
- The Scientist as Philosopher: Philosophical Consequences of Great Scientific Discoveries
- Commercial Geography
- The Legacy of the Mastodon: The Golden Age of Fossils in America
- Everywhere and Everywhen: Adventures in Physics and Philosophy
- Neue Heimaten. kommen | bleiben | gehen in der Südoststeiermark (Schriften aus dem Museum im Tabor Feldbach 11) (German Edition)
Additional resources for An Introduction to Science and Technology Studies
An Introduction to Science and Technology Studies by Sergio Sismondo